[Mailman-Users] Error when e-mailing a list: User unknown in virtual alias table

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 17:41:37 CEST 2011

I get this message when posting to my new lists:

    news at mydomain.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for
further information about the cause of this error. The error that the
other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <news at mydomain.org>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table (state
14).

The Mailman docs (specifically /etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py)
says that I don't have to set up virtual aliases:

# -join, -leave, -subscribe and -unsubscribe addresses. It will
# recognize a list as soon as the list is created, there is no need to
# add _any_ aliases for any list.  It recognizes mail to postmaster,

but is that really true?

Thanks,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.