[Mailman-Users] Mailman error: Forbidden: You don't have permissionto access /pipermail/grads/ on this server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 31 20:08:54 CEST 2011

Tom Browder wrote:

>However, I, as a list user, cannot get access to the archives for a
>list.  When I try to look at the archives through the link on the
>Welcome message I get the following:
>
>  Forbidden
>
>  You don't have permission to access /pipermail/grads/ on this server.
>
>I tried changing the example line in the mailman.conf  file from:
>
>  Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

>  ScriptAlias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
>
>but that didn't change anything so I changed it back.

Good.

>I have searched this list for "pipermail" but see no similar problem.
>
>I'm sure I've missed a note somewhere but I'm not sure how to proceed.
> The mailman docs talk about permissions and the mailman user but
>Ubuntu installs all mailman files with root:list ownership which seems
>to work for all else.  All the directories under /var/lib/mailman have
>these permissions:
>
>  drwxrwsr-x  4 root list

If that includes /var/lib/mailman/archives/private, then that's OK.
Otherwise note that /var/lib/mailman/archives/private must be o+x or
must have user:group xxx:list where xxx is the user that the web
server uses to access files.

If this is not the problem, make sure the directory
/var/lib/mailman/archives/public has Options +FollowSymlinks in your
web server config. I.e for Apache, put

<Directory "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public">
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

immediately after

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/