[Mailman-Users] control mail distribution ..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 23 04:45:11 CET 2011

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>well I did send an old error file cause the current one is huge..

Because of some underlying issue that can't be diagnosed without seeing
what's there.

For example, what are the error log entries with time stamps around the

Jan 17 00:08:48 2011 (2666) Master qrunner detected subprocess exit
(pid: 2712, sig: 6, sts: None, class: BounceRunner, slice: 1/1) =
[restarting]

(i.e. between 00:08:45 and 00:08:48) that might tell what the issue
with BounceRunner was.

>I think mailman keeps stopping because I reboot the servers everyday to
>free up the memory..

That's probably at least part of why you wind up with orphaned
/var/lib/mailman/data/bounce-events-*.pck and stale locks.

>I have a TV station as a customer having 6 lists
>with a total of 300,000 subscribers, 50,000 each on the following
>server:
>
>Centos
>CPU Intel P4 3000
>2 GBs RAM
>120 Gbs hard drive
>
>and they post daily to their lists..
>
>I also have another local Newspaper as a customer having about 100,000 =
>subscribers on 3 lists with a virtual private server with the following =
>specs:
>Centos
>256 MBs Ram
>10 GBs Hard drive=20
>
>which I have a hard time cleaning up because of the little space that =
>keeps filling up..
>
>is that the problem? do I need to use bigger hardware ?

Maybe.  I can't begin to tell you what the underlying issues are
without seeing the logs.

>another thing, the servers doesn't send directly, the messages
>are being sent to my hosting servers provider's relay server..

So there may be issues with this. There might be indications in
Mailman's smtp-failure log, and the disable notices to the owner from
Mailman should help.