[Mailman-Users] upgrading list and other data from 2.1.9 to2.1.14

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 4 03:15:56 CET 2011

Ivan Fetch wrote:

>    When this box goes production, I want to refresh the lists, archives,
>and data from the current 2.1.9 Mailman. All paths and host names will
>stay the same.
>
>    It sounds like there isn't anything I have to do after syncing the
>lists, data, and archives directories.

That is correct, but there may be timing issues. Are you changing DNS
or physically reassigning the IP address to the new box.

If you're changing DNS, I'd start now and give all the relevant DNS
entries a 5 minute or less TTL, so you don't have to worry about old
DNS for more than 5 minutes.

If you're not going to sync qfiles, you need to make sure that all
queues are empty on the old box. Maybe wait for a quiet moment when
queues are empty and stop the MTA.

>    IF a list's pck file is updated when the list is next instantiated -
>what is the simplest thing that will trigger this? Iterating through all
>lists somehow? (I realize this isn't strictly necessary to do because it
>will happen on the fly)

 From the command line, a simple bin/list_lists will do it. From the
web, simply going to the listinfo or admin overview page for any host
will do.