[Mailman-Users] upgrading list and other data from 2.1.9 to 2.1.14

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Fri Feb 4 02:52:23 CET 2011

Hello, thanks for your reply,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Ivan Fetch wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to copy list and archives data from a 2.1.9 Mailman installation, to a 2.1.14 installation, and run bin/update to update data from 2.1.9 to 2.1.14? I assume bin/update will make any necessary changes to data structures, from 2.1.9 to 2.1.14?
>>

> Yes and no. If you just copy a lists/LISTNAME/config.pck from any 2.1.x
> or even (I think) from 2.0.x to a more recent installation, the first
> time the list is instantiated, mailman will automatically do any
> required updates.
>
> bin/update is designed for migrating an entire installation, not
> individual lists, and it normally won't do anything if run by hand in
> an existing installation. It does migration tasks other than updating
> the actual list config.
>
> For the archives, the recommended process is to first check and if
> necessary fix the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files
> with bin/cleanarch and then move those mbox files only and build
> archives on the new host with bin/arch --wipe.
>
> It is possible to just move the archives/private/LISTNAME tree rather
> than running bin/arch --wipe as long as permissions are OK or fixed
> after the move, but you still need to move
> archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox.
>
> You don't need to do anything with archives/public/LISTNAME as those
> symlinks will be created for lists with public archives when the list
> is first accessed.
>
> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9>.
>
> Also, if your MTA uses aliases, you may need to run bin/genaliases
> after the move and/or manually update aliases.

    Thank you - this helps me walk through the process.

    The goal is to move all lists, archives, and data to the new box, and
then install Mailman 2.1.14 over those directories - I have done this.

    When this box goes production, I want to refresh the lists, archives,
and data from the current 2.1.9 Mailman. All paths and host names will
stay the same.

    It sounds like there isn't anything I have to do after syncing the
lists, data, and archives directories.

    IF a list's pck file is updated when the list is next instantiated -
what is the simplest thing that will trigger this? Iterating through all
lists somehow? (I realize this isn't strictly necessary to do because it
will happen on the fly)

Thanks,

Ivan.