[Mailman-Users] exim says 'unrouteable' on new list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 7 15:29:51 CEST 2011

Rich Lott wrote:

>I have exim4 and mailman running successfully on my server. I have a
>working list that runs at somelistname at artfulrobot.com and a working web
>admin iface. All good.
>
>But now I want to set up a new list under a subdomain for another
>client. This list name does not clash with my other list, and it is does
>not clash with a username on the server.
>
>I set it up with this command
>
>$ newlist -e maybe.artfulrobot.com -u artfulrobot.com community
>
>I used the web iface to mass subscribe my own email address, and I got a
>"welcome" message. But when I try to send to the list, it bounces back.
>
>Nb. I can email someotheruser at maybe.artfulrobot.com and receive it at
>someotheruser's normal user account.
>
>I looked at the output from this command:
>$ exim4 -d -bt community at maybe.artfulrobot.com
>
>to see why it was failing. Output below.
>
>Basically, it seems that mm has not registered
>community at maybe.artfulrobot.com in data/virtual-mailman.

I don't know how you are routing and delivering Mailman's incoming mail
in Exim, but you are apparently not following the recommended method
described at <http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html>.

If you rely on data/virtual-mailman, you need to have the following in
mm_cfg.py.

MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [..., 'maybe.artfulrobot.com']

where ... is your other list email domain(s) that you presumably had
since it was working.

>I've read lots of postings, docs etc. but gotten nowhere. I've tried
>fiddling with /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py, adding things like:
>
>MTA=None (and MTA='None')

It's MTA = None, not 'None', but as I said above you want MTA =
'Postfix'.

>add_virtualhost('maybe.artfulrobot.com','maybe.artfulrobot.com' )

This should be

add_virtualhost('artfulrobot.com', 'maybe.artfulrobot.com')

unless you already have another add_virtualhost with artfulrobot.com
(or DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'artfulrobot.com') as the url host. If that is
the case, it is probably best to omit this add_virtualhost and have

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

instead.

>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'artfulrobot.com',
>'maybe.artfulrobot.com']

And you do want this.

>Each change I've restarted MM. Tried and got the unrouteable error again.

Because restarting Mailman doesn't change anything. You need to run
Mailman's bin/genaliases to rebuild virtual-mailman after adding
'maybe.artfulrobot.com' to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.

See below for more.

>Can anyone help?! thanks...
>
>Rich
>

>--------> mailman_router router <--------
>local_part=community domain=maybe.artfulrobot.com
>checking domains
>cached yes match for +local_domains
>cached lookup data = NULL
>maybe.artfulrobot.com in "+local_domains"? yes (matched "+local_domains"
>- cached)
>checking require_files
>file check: /var/lib/mailman/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>expanded file: /var/lib/mailman/lists/community/config.pck
>stat() yielded 0

It appears you are using something like the router described at
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html>, but you have this extra
condition below requiring virtual-mailman. I suggest you remove that
from your Exim mailman router and follow the recommendations in the
howto.