[Mailman-Users] exim says 'unrouteable' on new list [SOLVED]

Rich rl6 at shinyblue.net
Mon Aug 8 00:12:27 CEST 2011

Thanks Adam and Mark for your responses. I'm always amazed at the
generosity of the open source community and I do appreciate it.

After about 4 hours fiddling I'd managed to find a fix. I think the main
thing I was missing was that you have to run genaliases in order to
update the lookup file.

I had read http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html but not found it
particularly enlightening, esp. the exim section. I had read a lot more,
too. Just search this list for "virutal domain" and you'll see how many
others have problems too, and I read through lots of those!

In the end I found /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian.gz which
was most helpful.

For the benefit of anyone reading this, I have learnt:

1. in mm_config, it says postfix but it means exim too. Unfortunate
lexical obfuscation ;-)

2. virtual domains look like quite a hassle with postfix, but with exim
they're easy as long as your lists all have unique names, regardless of
their domain (or you have to run 2 installs of mm)

3. running genaliases is needed to update existing lists.

4. beyond the instructions in README.Exim4.Debian I added a line
     add_virtualhost('my.virt.host.com','my.virt.host.com')
     for each virtualhost. I'm not sure this is needed once it's listed
in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
     but I'm not going to try to break it now I've finally got it working!

5. Exim +debconf rocks: debconf effortlessly ensured I avoided the
pitfalls that seem so common from reports elsewhere on MTA config, and
exim -d -bt some at email.address.com bends over backwards to tell you what
it's doing.

Happy at last.

Good luck to everyone else!