[Mailman-Users] exim says 'unrouteable' on new list

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sun Aug 7 15:22:01 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 11:57:22PM +0100, Rich Lott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have exim4 and mailman running successfully on my server. I have a
> working list that runs at somelistname at artfulrobot.com and a working web
> admin iface. All good.
>
> I looked at the output from this command:
> $ exim4 -d -bt community at maybe.artfulrobot.com
>
> to see why it was failing. Output below.
>
> Basically, it seems that mm has not registered
> community at maybe.artfulrobot.com in data/virtual-mailman.

Your debug message states:

> file lookup required for community at maybe.artfulrobot.com
>   in /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
> lookup failed

Is that correct? (i.e., does /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman...)
exist?

> I've read lots of postings, docs etc. but gotten nowhere. I've tried
> fiddling with /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py, adding things like:

For Exim and Mailman, I'd use the canonical document:

    http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html

and that alone.

> MTA=None (and MTA='None')
>
> add_virtualhost('maybe.artfulrobot.com','maybe.artfulrobot.com' )
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'artfulrobot.com',
> 'maybe.artfulrobot.com']

I'd not bother with that sort of thing. Just use the tried-and-tested

    http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html

> Each change I've restarted MM. Tried and got the unrouteable error again.

If you're fiddling with Exim that probably needs HUPing.

--
"Well, you didn't design your beard too well, did you? You really
 must try better with your beard."