[Mailman-Users] qfiles/bad is full of files...how do I find out why?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 23 23:09:29 CEST 2011

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Dennis Carr wrote:
>>
>>I just discovered that there are hundreds of files in qfiles/bad for some
>>reason.  The manual tells me nothing, except some basic installation
>>troubleshooting.  So this raises a few questions:
>>
>>1) Any ideas as to what causes this?
>>2) How do I find out the exact cause?
>>3) What is the best way to solve the problem?
>

> For every one of those files, there should be an 'error' log entry
> saying most likely, "Skipping and preserving unparseable message:".

I was on my way out the door when I sent the above, so here's a bit more.

See the documentation for the settings

QRUNNER_SAVE_BAD_MESSAGES = Yes
BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER = days(7)
BAD_SHUNT_ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY = None

in Defaults.py and if the setting for BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER has not been
overridden in mm_cfg.py and there are files older than 7 days in
qfiles/bad, make sure that Mailman's crontab is running cron/cull_bad_shunt.