[Mailman-Users] unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mylist at mydomain.com"

Gustavo Delfino gdelfino at umich.edu
Wed Nov 24 23:45:17 CET 2010

Hello, I am migrating my mailing lists from an old cpanel server into a new CentOS 5.5 server (with Webmin). The old server had mailman 2.1.14 installed, on the new one the latest mailman package available is v2.1.9. As I didn't want want to risk migrating my data from a newer version to an older version, I compiled my own mailman 2.1.14 like this:

./configure --with-cgi-gid=apache

And for he most part it seems to be working (web pages work, can create lists and subscribe users, and email notifications are received). But, delivering a message to subscribed users is not working. I am getting this inside /var/log/maillog:

Nov 24 14:46:10 admin postfix/virtual[17880]: 94B1C2FA8016: to=<|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve>, orig_to=<testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve>, relay=virtual, delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve")

As I have spent days trying to make this work, I decided to ask for help. At this point, I am thinking about recompiling mailman with a custom --with-mail-gid. Any advices?

This is my setup:
python  2.4.3
postfix 2.3.3
spamassassin installed as a daemon
virtual domains & virtual mailboxes
I can send full configuration details as needed.

Regards,

--
Gustavo Delfino
GPG key ID: AA4063D6