[Mailman-Users] unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mylist at mydomain.com"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 25 17:13:34 CET 2010

On 11/24/2010 2:45 PM, Gustavo Delfino wrote:

> And for he most part it seems to be working (web pages work, can
> create lists and subscribe users, and email notifications are
> received). But, delivering a message to subscribed users is not
> working. I am getting this inside /var/log/maillog:
>
> Nov 24 14:46:10 admin postfix/virtual[17880]: 94B1C2FA8016:
> to=<|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
> testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve>,
> orig_to=<testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve>, relay=virtual, delay=0.02,
> delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user:
> "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
> testlist5 at gdsolutions.com.ve")

There is some problem with your aliases and virtual maps. It looks like
you have installed aliases as virtual_alias_maps instead of alias_maps.
Also, the list name in the aliases should be just the name, not the
email address unless you have also installed some virtual hosting patch
that makes the listname have the domain included. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html> and if
gdsolutions.com.ve is a Postfix virtual domain, see
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>.

> As I have spent days trying to make this work, I decided to ask for
> help. At this point, I am thinking about recompiling mailman with a
> custom --with-mail-gid. Any advices?

That won't change this.

> This is my setup: python  2.4.3 postfix 2.3.3 spamassassin installed
> as a daemon virtual domains & virtual mailboxes I can send full
> configuration details as needed.

Note that Mailman/Postfix integration as described in the above
referenced manual pages is for virtual alias domains and not virtual
mailbox domains. You can make this work for list domains that are
virtual mailbox domains if necessary. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj>.

If you need further help from this list, we need to see the output of
"postconf -n", the contents of mm_cfg.py, and assuming you have "MTA =
'Postfix'" in mm_cfg.py, the output of "ls -l /usr/local/mailman/data".

Also, we need to know what if any patches you have installed.