[Mailman-Users] Help with setting up listserve?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Mar 25 20:04:10 CET 2010

Dawn, C M Lybrand & Co. wrote:
> I have extensive experience using a listserve, but I've never been
> involved in the technical aspects of setting one up. I have now been
> "volunteered" for this task in a non-profit community organization and I
> am the only one who has ever even heard of a listserve there, so I got
> elected to figure out how to set one up. I assume that I would need some
> server space somewhere to do this, but beyond that I get a bit lost.
> Could you please point me in the right direction? I'm not a techie, but
> I would really like to learn how to do this. Are there free hosts out
> there for non-profit community organizations? Is there anyone who might
> be willing to help me get started? Our organization is called Canal
> Street Historic District -- we are trying to revitalize the downtown of
> our small, Florida city. This is no easy task when it's much easier for
> developers to simply move west of town and plop down a big box store!

First off, "listserv" is a registered trademark for another product.
Mailman is not listserv.

If you're looking for someone else to do the mailman hosting for you,
there's a list of Mailman hosting services here: <http://wiki.list.org/x/Hg>

But if you're willing to host it yourself, you definitely can learn how
to do it.  You'll need access to a server where you can set up the
software, and you should be able to just follow the instructions in the
installation manual:

http://list.org/mailman-install/index.html