[Mailman-Users] Help with setting up listserve?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 26 02:09:19 CET 2010

Terri Oda writes:

 > If you're looking for someone else to do the mailman hosting for
 > you, there's a list of Mailman hosting services here:
 > <http://wiki.list.org/x/Hg>

Other things being equal, this is probably the route you should go if
you only want a mailing list.  I know that to a nonprofit even $10 a
month adds up, but it's worth far more than that in time and
reliability if you get real support.  One hint is to get the names of
some of the tech support people, and then check to see if they
participate in this list (mailman-users) or (even better?) the
developers' list (mailman-devel).  (IIRC, EMWD -- on the list above --
is one such; there may be others.  This is not an endorsement of EMWD,
just the facts, ma'am. ;-)

 > But if you're willing to host it yourself, you definitely can learn how
 > to do it.  You'll need access to a server where you can set up the
 > software, and you should be able to just follow the instructions in the
 > installation manual:
 >
 > http://list.org/mailman-install/index.html

This is not hard, as Terri says.  But there are a lot of issues that
come with running your own lists.  It can be a time sink; on the other
hand, it can also provide some basic experience that will serve you
very well when you decide to expand your web presence, even if you do
go with a hosting service.