[Mailman-Users] Merging two lists

Anthony R. Thompson athomps at adf.org
Wed Jul 21 18:11:32 CEST 2010

On 7/21/2010 11:23 AM, Michael R Boudreau wrote:
> I need to merge List A into List B. My plan is to run list_members
> on both lists and use the Unix 'uniq' tool to find the members of
> List A who are not already in List B. Then I'll use the web
> interface's mass subscription page to add the members from List A
> to List B.

Depending on how lazy you want to be, I'm guessing you might be able to
just take the member list from List A and mass subscribe it to List B.

I think Mailman would just complain about the people who are already
subscribed to List B and then process the rest.  Though I haven't tried
this.

I tried playing around with uniq (and two dummy files) and it might do
what you want but the results weren't intuitive to me.

I hacked together a script a few years ago to compare two files and say
which lines are just in file A, just in file B, or in both; it's at
http://blog.anthonyrthompson.com/listserv-to-mailman/code/utils/filecomplines

> Following that, I'll run rmlist on List A without deleting its archives.
> However, ideally I'd like to make the archives of Lists A and B available
> in one place to all the members of the new expanded List B.

If it was me, I'd just remove all the subscribers from List A, add a
dummy subscriber account set with delivery off and mod on, and then give
out the dummy account and its password to the folks on List B for
archive access.

~Anthony