[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jan 20 05:35:32 CET 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 03:11 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

>Hi Barry,

Hi John,

>Yes, but there are "resources" for people to create web forums.
>"Resources" for people to create emailers. "Resources" for people to
>create bloggs etc.

I mean "people to hack code". :)

>> I like Gmane personally, but I really want
>>Mailman 3 to have an optional NNTP server vending messages from its message
>>store.
>
>If you mean that Mailman could provide NNTP access to it's message
>store then that would be great !!!

Yep, that's exactly what I mean and I agree it would be cool.

>This sort of thing HAS been done by others. A combined database that
>can have it's messages accessed as web forum posts, emails, news posts
>etc.

Hey, if there's stuff we can steal or integrate with, all the better!  I have
a saying: "the best bass amp there is, is the one you don't have to bring". :)

>The huge advantage of this approach is that all forums are updated
>together. No need to poll one forum to update to another. Also, only
>one DB is needed. Instead of potentially three, or more.
>
>The "Conversant" people call all this "Internet groupware".

If there's existing free software we can write some glue for, all the better.
What's out there that we can use?

>> I actually don't think it's that hard, it'll just take some
>>engineering.  My plan is to use the NNTP server in Twisted as the core network
>>service, but I'm open to suggestions.
>
>Get started yesterday ?   :-)

Lessee, hmm, nope I'm not getting paid to work on this stuff! :)

>I am very happy to help out. I have been a beta tester for a number of
>freeware, and commercial, programs over the years. I also have some
>experience of news (proxy servers).
>
>I have also contributed to public, and private, newsgroup servers for
>more than ten years now. However, I am not a unix expert and I do
>not have root access to a unix server.
>
>I have subscribed to mailman-developers but haven't noticed any
>threads on NNTP access to the Mailman DB.
>
>So, unfortunately, I think my "contribution" may be limited to
>encouragement and suggestions/ideas.  :-(

That's cool.  There are /lots/ of opportunities for folks to contribute to
Mailman that doesn't include coding.  We have a wiki that needs constant
gardening, and would love to be fleshed out with ideas on integrating Mailman
with existing forum software, blogs, etc.  We have lots of documentation that
needs writing or improving, or converting to Sphinx.  There's testing to be
done, web user interfaces to design, etc. etc.

If coding's not your thing, I invite you to find some other area of interest
and dig in!

-Barry