[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jan 20 05:38:11 CET 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 08:23 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

>On 1/19/2010 8:11 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:
>
>> If you mean that Mailman could provide NNTP access to it's message
>> store then that would be great !!!
>
>Here's the catch- mailman is a mailing list manager (or remailer, if you
>prefer), not a message storage system, so it doesn't -have- a persistent
>message store. There may be a list archive, but that isn't something that
>would be easily accessible on a per message ID basis (w/o a bunch of extra
>hackery).  If the existing archive function was replaced by a database-type
>thing, that could allow the sort of access that I think you want, but that's
>also outside the scope of list management. You might want to look into the
>replacement archivers to see if they do what you want.

Mailman-with-Pipermail sort of does have this now, but it's in a silo that's
not really accessible outside that small part of the system.  I've already
defined a message store interface (which may or may not be sufficient), and
storing messages there is exactly what I want to do.

Besides, I think the state of open source archivers is sadly very lacking.

-Barry