[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Wed Jan 20 06:19:36 CET 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:35:32 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Jan 20, 2010, at 03:11 PM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Barry,

>>Yes, but there are "resources" for people to create web forums.
>>"Resources" for people to create emailers. "Resources" for people to
>>create bloggs etc.

>I mean "people to hack code". :)

Ah ! Those types of "resources" . < vbg >

< snip >

>>If you mean that Mailman could provide NNTP access to it's message
>>store then that would be great !!!

>Yep, that's exactly what I mean and I agree it would be cool.

Good. The only two issues that immediately come to mind is to provide
a "user option" to change the port number. (for those who don't have
root access to their Mailman server) and authentication.

>>This sort of thing HAS been done by others. A combined database that
>>can have it's messages accessed as web forum posts, emails, news posts
>>etc.

>Hey, if there's stuff we can steal or integrate with, all the better!  I have
>a saying: "the best bass amp there is, is the one you don't have to bring". :)

I would love to say that there is an open source item that you could
look at, but I cannot. It is "commercial". Probably.

It started with http://macrobyte.net/ and then went to..
http://www.free-conversant.com/index

However, there is a VERY small glimmer of hope if you read the Updated
3/30/2006 entry at..

http://conversant.macrobyte.net/

< snip >

>That's cool.  There are /lots/ of opportunities for folks to contribute to
>Mailman that doesn't include coding.

Well, I have provided FAQs on web pages to help people. I need to know
Mailman a bit better though to be of worthwhile help. I am still a
"newbie". A GUI one at that !

>We have a wiki that needs constant
>gardening, and would love to be fleshed out with ideas on integrating Mailman
>with existing forum software, blogs, etc.

That interests me too. Web forum < > mailing list mirroring already
exists in the commercial world.

>We have lots of documentation that
>needs writing or improving, or converting to Sphinx.  There's testing to be
>done, web user interfaces to design, etc. etc.

>If coding's not your thing, I invite you to find some other area of interest
>and dig in!

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. As I get more knowledge I will see
if/where I can help.

Regards, John.