[Mailman-Users] wrapper issue

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 1 21:49:12 CET 2010

Hicks, Robert CTR wrote:

>I changed mailman to use an aliases file (/etc/mail/mailman-aliases) which is owned by root:mailman.
>
>I get the following, which I didn't get when the aliases where being managed by Exim itself.
>
>====
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "exim".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure, providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=exim'.
>====

The difference is you used to deliver mail to Mailman via an Exim
router and transport for Mailman. BTW, this was not delivery based on
Exim managed aliases. It was programmatic delivery based on the
existence of a list.

Your Exim Mailman transport definition contained user= and group=
directives defining the user and group that Exim should use when
invoking the wrapper. In particular, this group was 'mailman'.

You now are delivering via aliases. Probably you have a
"system_aliases" router with among other things has a line like

pipe_transport = address_pipe

which invokes the address_pipe transport for all aliases including
Mailman's which deliver to a pipe.

>So I have two options. The tweak, and the re-configure. What is the tweak? Or is it better to do the re-configure and if I do that does that "wipe" out anything in my current system?

The tweak option is to add a

  group = mailman

directive to either the system_aliases router or the address_pipe
transport.

The configure option if you installed from source is to run ./configure
with the same options as before except adding (or changing)
--with-mail-gid=exim and then run make install.

If you installed a package, you need to consult your package
documentation for the way to change this if it is possible.

No. reconfiguring and installing shouldn't affect your current
installation.

>Alternatively, I can turn the Exim support back on but I was getting this error from one of my groups:

Going back to your original Exim configuration is IMO the best option.

>====
>Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Now we're getting somewhere. Was this a message to a list; i.e. is
email at address the address of a Mailman list, or was this a message
from Mailman to someone?

If this was not a post to a list, Neither the Exim Mailman router and
transport nor Mailman aliases have anything to do with it.

Is the 'address' domain that of your mailman server? is the 'email'
user the name of a Mailman list?

Give us some information and we'll help you solve this.