[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 9 02:26:09 CET 2010

JRC Groups wrote:

>What is the best way to test if the list is now working properly ?

Try to send a message to the list or maybe send a message with subject
"help" to the list-request address.

>Also, I followed a discussion on another forum where a new user reported
>having problems with OS X Server in regards to archives. According to him
>after using Mailman for a while he went to check for logs and archives only
>to found nothing there. What is the best way to set up Mailman now so that I
>have logs and (most importantly) archives of all posts that I can search in
>the future ?

Try running

  sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms -f

If it runs cleanly (don't worry about the warning about
archives/private being world searchable) logging and archiving should
work.

Also make sure your list's Mailman web admin Archiving Options ->
Archive messages? setting is Yes.

>He also mentioned something about making the list private so
>that its contents wouldn't be search, found and indexed by search engines
>like Google. Is this even a possibility and in case it is what steps should
>I take to ensure the contents of my lists will remain private and only
>visible to those that are members ?

On the same Archiving Options page set archive_private to private, and
yes, if archive_private is public, the archives are world accessible
via the web (at least assuming the host is reachable), and will be
indexed in search engines.