[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 02:51:16 CET 2010

On 12/8/10 5:26 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> JRC Groups wrote:
>>
>> What is the best way to test if the list is now working properly ?
>
> Try to send a message to the list or maybe send a message with subject
> "help" to the list-request address.

I sent the message and this is what the log in Server Admin shows:

Dec  8 17:48:13 dentserv postfix/smtpd[37996]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
mail-gw0-f52.google.com[74.125.83.52]: 450 4.7.1
<Implants-request at 3wforum.com>: Recipient address rejected: Service is
unavailable; from=<joemailgroups at gmail.com>
to=<Implants-request at 3wforum.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-gw0-f52.google.com>
Dec  8 17:48:13 dentserv postfix/smtpd[37996]: disconnect from
mail-gw0-f52.google.com[74.125.83.52]

>> Also, I followed a discussion on another forum where a new user reported
>> having problems with OS X Server in regards to archives. According to him
>> after using Mailman for a while he went to check for logs and archives only
>> to found nothing there. What is the best way to set up Mailman now so that I
>> have logs and (most importantly) archives of all posts that I can search in
>> the future ?
>

> Try running
>
>   sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
>
> If it runs cleanly (don't worry about the warning about
> archives/private being world searchable) logging and archiving should
> work.

I ran it and the following is the output:

dentserv:~ locadmin$ sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
Password:
Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
         This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
         If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
         installation manual on how to fix this.
/private/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db owned by root (must be owned by
_mailman (fixing)
/private/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db permissions must be 066x (got
0100640) (fixing)
Problems found: 2
Re-run as _mailman (or root) with -f flag to fix

> Also make sure your list's Mailman web admin Archiving Options ->
> Archive messages? setting is Yes.

I made the changes.

>> He also mentioned something about making the list private so
>> that its contents wouldn't be search, found and indexed by search engines
>> like Google. Is this even a possibility and in case it is what steps should
>> I take to ensure the contents of my lists will remain private and only
>> visible to those that are members ?
>

> On the same Archiving Options page set archive_private to private, and
> yes, if archive_private is public, the archives are world accessible
> via the web (at least assuming the host is reachable), and will be
> indexed in search engines.

Thank you, Mark. I am glad I've caught that before launching the list as it
will hold discussions that are required to be maintained private and
confidential (HIPAA law).

Thank you, Mark.