[Mailman-Users] adding a list to a virtual domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 23 00:30:17 CET 2009

David Newman wrote:

>This evening I tried creating a new list but posts from a subscriber to
>the new list bounce with the message "User unknown in virtual mailbox
>table."
>
>AFAICT Mailman is set up to work with Postfix virtual domains as
>described in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Mailman docs. Mailman runs fine
>for other lists in this domain on this host.
>
>I did notice that the virtual-mailman file was not updated when I
>created the list at 18:37:

That probably means that the host whose name is the host_name attribute
of the new list is not in the mm_cfg.py POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
list.

>I've also pasted lines from the end of mm_cfg.py below.
>
>Thanks in advance for clues as to what's missing here.
>
>dn
>

>from mm_cfg.py (with the domain name scrubbed out):
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'https://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
>IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
>POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postalias'
>POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postmap'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld' ]
>VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
>VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = Yes
>VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
>OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes
>add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')

I need more information to tell you exactly how to fix this, but let me
give you an example of how this should be set up with two virtual
hosts with host1's web host = web.example.com and email host =
mail.example.com and host2's web host = web.example.net and email host
= mail.example.net and both mail.example.com and mail.example.net
being Postfix virtual domains and host1 being the one with the
majority of lists.

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'web.example.com'
# above could be the .net domains. It makes now difference other than
# these are the default domains for bin/newlist and some other things.
#
# Clear the Defaults.py VIRTUAL_HOSTS entry
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
#
# Add the defaults
# and the other(s)
add_virtualhost('web.example.net', 'mail.example.net')
#
# Update virtual-mailman for lists in both domains
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.example.com', 'mail.example.net']

The other things you have in mm_cfg.py not specifically mentioned are
OK as is.