[Mailman-Users] adding a list to a virtual domain

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Mon Mar 23 04:51:33 CET 2009

On 3/22/09 4:30 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> David Newman wrote:
>> This evening I tried creating a new list but posts from a subscriber to
>> the new list bounce with the message "User unknown in virtual mailbox
>> table."
>>
>> AFAICT Mailman is set up to work with Postfix virtual domains as
>> described in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Mailman docs. Mailman runs fine
>> for other lists in this domain on this host.
>>
>> I did notice that the virtual-mailman file was not updated when I
>> created the list at 18:37:
>

> That probably means that the host whose name is the host_name attribute
> of the new list is not in the mm_cfg.py POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
> list.

Nope, that wasn't it. host_name was set to mydomain.tld, as per the
mm_cfg.py below.

>> I've also pasted lines from the end of mm_cfg.py below.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for clues as to what's missing here.
>>
>> dn
>>

>>from mm_cfg.py (with the domain name scrubbed out):
>> MTA = 'Postfix'
>> MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'
>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mydomain.tld'
>> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
>> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'https://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
>> IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'
>> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postalias'
>> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/local/sbin/postmap'
>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = [ 'mydomain.tld' ]
>> VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
>> VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>> VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = Yes
>> VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>> VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
>> OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes
>> add_virtualhost('mydomain.tld', 'mail.mydomain.tld')
>

> I need more information to tell you exactly how to fix this, but let me
> give you an example of how this should be set up with two virtual
> hosts with host1's web host = web.example.com and email host =
> mail.example.com and host2's web host = web.example.net and email host
> = mail.example.net and both mail.example.com and mail.example.net
> being Postfix virtual domains and host1 being the one with the
> majority of lists.
>
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'web.example.com'
> # above could be the .net domains. It makes now difference other than
> # these are the default domains for bin/newlist and some other things.
> #
> # Clear the Defaults.py VIRTUAL_HOSTS entry
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> #
> # Add the defaults
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> # and the other(s)
> add_virtualhost('web.example.net', 'mail.example.net')
> #
> # Update virtual-mailman for lists in both domains
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.example.com', 'mail.example.net']

I didn't have these two lines:

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

but adding them and restarting apache and mailman, deleting and
recreating the list didn't resolve the original error.

You mentioned you'd need more info -- what else do you need?

Many thanks.

dn

ps.

On 3/22/09 4:05 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> I hope you mean that you're using 2.1.10 or
> something like that, and not 2.1.0.

Yes, sorry I meant 2.1.10