[Mailman-Users] Issue with text to Mailman list serve

Darren G Pifer dpifer at odu.edu
Thu Jan 15 19:18:20 CET 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> Here is her description of the issue.  She is sending
>>> text to her listserve which is a moderated list.  She approves the
>>> message but as a member of the list, the email is received with 3
>>> attachments:  ATT00001.c,  ATT00002.htm, and ATT00003.c.  The
>>> administrator has 2 other lists and when she sends text, she receives
>>> them as text.  She would like email sent as text to be received as text.
>>>
>>> You could try deleting all list-specific headers and footers and re-creating
>>> them, this time making sure that you don't put in any non-ASCII characters.
>>>  Or maybe you've got ASCII characters in there, but there are non-ASCII
>>> characters in the submitted message, such as accented characters in
>>> someone's name or signature?
>>>
>>> Other than that, I have no idea how this kind of thing would happen.

Re-creating the headers and footers did not resolve the issue.
> The .htm extension on the middle "attachment" which I assume is the
> message body indicates she is not sending a text/plain message but
> rather a text/html message, and content filtering is not removing the
> html part or converting it to plain text. The other "attachments" are
> probably the msg_header and msg_footer as Brad suggests. The FAQ Brad
> references is the relevant one. The difference between lists may be
> that this is the only one that adds msg_header and msg_footer.
>
> I may not have this exactly right, but the only way to know for sure is
> to see a raw message from the list or at least the content of the
> three "attachments"

I have attached the files you requested, as sent to me by the list
administrator.
It appears to me what is happening is the list server is sending the
email with
3 attachments but displays as 4 parts:  there is the message header, the
text
version of the email, then an HTML version of the email, followed by the
message
footer. I see like a line separator between each part. (I use the
Thunderbird mail
client).  This does not seem like normal behavior.  If anything, there
should
be a minimum of 3 parts, not 4.

Let me know if there is any else you need from me.

Regards, Darren
ODU