[Mailman-Users] Issue with text to Mailman list serve

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 15 19:52:39 CET 2009

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>I have attached the files you requested, as sent to me by the list
>administrator.

>It appears to me what is happening is the list server is sending the
>email with
>3 attachments but displays as 4 parts:  there is the message header, the
>text
>version of the email, then an HTML version of the email, followed by the
>message
>footer. I see like a line separator between each part. (I use the
>Thunderbird mail
>client).  This does not seem like normal behavior.  If anything, there
>should
>be a minimum of 3 parts, not 4.
>
>Let me know if there is any else you need from me.

The actual attachments didn't get to the list, but they are as Darren
describes.

It appears that the original message to the list is
multipart/alternative with test/plain and text/html alternative parts.
The three message parts in addition to the headers are the text/plain
part, the text/html part and the msg_footer.

Something is wrong with what is happening to this message. Normally, if
a message with structure

multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html

is sent to a list and content filtering doesn't remove eather
alternative or collapse alternatives, the msg_footer will be added as
a separate part and the final message will look like

multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/html
    text/plain

I.e. it will be converted to a multipart mixed message with two parts -
part 1 being the original message parts and part 2 being the footer.
In your case, it appears that the final message structure is

multipart/mixed
    text/plain
    text/html
    text/plain

instead.

What Mailman version is this?

What are the list's content filtering settings?

What is the raw message with all headers?
   In Tbird, select the message and then File->Save As->File or just
ctrl-S, and give it a name with a .txt extension. Then you can attach
that .txt file to a list post.