[Mailman-Users] [-0.5] Re: Soft bounces....

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 3 18:53:03 CEST 2009

Charles Gregory wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> If you're getting "bounces" like "message undeliverable after 4 hours;
>> will keep trying until message is 5 days old" Mailman should be
>> ignoring those.
>
>I apologize for not thinking through the fact that a 4xx would have to
>continue for 4 hours before mailman ever heard about it, but now you are
>saying that notice is ignored. So, I seem to have misunderstood the docs.
>I thought '4xx' errors (when they get back to mailman) were 'soft', so
>if 'message undeliverable for 4 hours' doesn't count, then what
>messages does mailman treat as a 'soft' bounce and only score 0.5?

If it's an RFC 3464 compliant DSN with and action of "delayed" or some
heuristically recognized equivalent, it is ignored. The difference
between a hard 1.0 bounce and a soft 0.5 bounce was never implemented
even though the docs say it works that way. The difference, if it were
implemented, would be that failure action with a "4xx" or "552" status
would count as 0.5 and other failures would count as 1.0, but this is
not the way it currently works. All failures count as 1.0 (but only
one bounce per day counts).

>> If it isn't, send me a complete, raw copy of the DSN,
>> and I'll fix it and tell you how to fix yours.
>
>I'm not working on DSN's, I'm fighting with yahoo over large numbers of
>stupid, needless 4xx delays in my mail logs (and log reports). There
>aren't very many things in their generic 'explanations' that seem to
>apply. So I'm trying to cut down on our system attempting to send mail to
>5xx recipients at Yahoo.

However, it's only DSNs that Mailman sees, unless your MTA reports a
"4xx" or "5xx" status back to Mailman during Mailman's SMTP with the
MTA. In this case, Mailman will log these in smtp-failure and retry
the "4xx" and "552" statuses at 15 minute intervals for 5 days, and
treat the other "5xx" statuses as hard bounces.

>Further to this topic, another suggestion from Yahoo would be to use
>different IP addresses for different classes of mail. Short of running the
>mail on a separate server, I was thinking I might try running a separate
>instance of postfix to send mail from a separate IP. But then how would I
>tell mailman to use *that* instance of postfix?

SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py