[Mailman-Users] Mailman is no longer gatewaying news...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Tue Nov 11 21:49:02 CET 2008

On 11/11/08 14:20, Brad Knowles wrote:
> If it had been problems with posting, I would have pointed at your cron
> job.  Since it's problems with reading, that would imply some issue with
> the news reader interface you've got.

What do you mean by "... news reader interface ..."?  Are you saying
that the problem is with the news (NNTP) client that I'm using?  If so,
I can say for sure that is not the case.  I have verified that the
message(s) that I post to the mailing list are indeed being gatewayed to
the news server as my posts appear in the news group like they should on
other Usenet news (NNTP) servers.  I can also verify that the news
server that Mailman posted to (and checks) has has my test message.  As
such I do not believe the problem to be related to news (NNTP) but
rather something with acting as a news (NNTP) client.

> Check your Mailman logs and the logs on the news server you're
> connecting to.  You might also want to try firing up WireShark to see
> the actual incoming and outgoing packets to the news server.

I did check the Mailman logs.  gate_news.cron.txt is empty, nor is there
any output if I run gate_news by hand (as the user that owns Mailman).
I did not see any thing in the other Mailman or system logs.  Do you
have something I should be looking and / or greping for?

As far as Wireshark goes, I've already run TCPDump on the connection.
That's how I can be sure that Mailman is connecting to the news server
and issuing the "mode reader" command, selecting the news group, and
getting information back from the news server.

Any other ideas?

I feel like this has to do with Mailman as an news (NNTP) client not
realizing that it needs to download more messages (message counters off
/ corrupted / something) or it not being able to download messages for
some reason.

I can say that I have received an error (that for some reason did not
show up in logs) from gate_news:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 284, in ?
     main()
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 266, in main
     clearcache()
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 121, in clearcache
     conn.quit()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 564, in quit
     resp = self.shortcmd('QUIT')
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 260, in shortcmd
     return self.getresp()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 215, in getresp
     resp = self.getline()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 207, in getline
     if not line: raise EOFError
EOFError

Unfortunately this does not mean much to me.  Will someone with more
Mailman-fu than I translate it?

Grant. . . .