[Mailman-Users] Mailman is no longer gatewaying news...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 13 02:54:34 CET 2008

Grant Taylor wrote:

> What do you mean by "... news reader interface ..."?  Are you saying
> that the problem is with the news (NNTP) client that I'm using?  If so,
> I can say for sure that is not the case.

Internally, Mailman acts as an NNTP client to read and post the news, so
this is where I would be looking for errors and differences.

I had started a program a while back to allow Mailman to act as an NNTP
server for posting news (avoiding the NNTP client method), but that never
got anywhere.

> I did check the Mailman logs.  gate_news.cron.txt is empty, nor is there
> any output if I run gate_news by hand (as the user that owns Mailman). I
> did not see any thing in the other Mailman or system logs.  Do you have
> something I should be looking and / or greping for?

There should be logs in /usr/local/mailman/logs that are relevant to these
messages, especially in the log file named "usenet".

> I feel like this has to do with Mailman as an news (NNTP) client not
> realizing that it needs to download more messages (message counters off
> / corrupted / something) or it not being able to download messages for
> some reason.

That seems plausible.

> I can say that I have received an error (that for some reason did not
> show up in logs) from gate_news:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 284, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 266, in main
>     clearcache()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 121, in clearcache
>     conn.quit()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 564, in quit
>     resp = self.shortcmd('QUIT')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 260, in shortcmd
>     return self.getresp()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 215, in getresp
>     resp = self.getline()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 207, in getline
>     if not line: raise EOFError
> EOFError

Hmm.  This may be unrelated, but what version of Mailman are you running?
Have you looked at updating the version of Python you've got installed?  The
latest 2.4.x version should work well with the latest version of Mailman
(2.1.11), and I know there are some significant changes in the underlying
library routines.

It is possible that you may be running into bugs that have already been quashed.