[Mailman-Users] Somewhere I think I've missed a step. Did I finish the Install wrong?

TGPlatt, WebMaster webwitchcraft at webwitchcraft.com
Thu Jun 26 00:16:36 CEST 2008

I'm a new mailman server administrator. I'm trying to install the app on my
server for a new client who has been running it for 2 years on another host.
I'm using Python 2.4.5 (a fresh install downloaded from the Python.org site
and mailman 2.1.11 downloaded from SourceForge via the www.lists.org site
(i.e. these are pure vanilla - straight from the box - installs) It's
installed on my dedicated RedHat Linux server running RH v7.1

Mailman is installed in /usr/local/mailman/

./Configure, make and "make install" all ran okay from WITHIN
/usr/local/mailman/src once I finally figured out I could not put both the
source and the runtime into /usr./local/mailman and moved the source to the
src subdirectory.

HOWEVER, please note that I have ONLY run "make install" in
/usr/local/mailman/src. I have NOT installed mailman in any user domain's
home directory (or subdirectory) yet. I DID make my target user domain (lets
call it riverrats) a member of the mailman group; but that's as far as I've
gone at the moment. Mailman isn't even in the search path for the riverrats
domain. I have a hunch this was a mistake or that there's SOMETHING else I
still must do INSIDE the riverrats domain in order to enable users to access
mailman from there. As it stands now, the ONLY way to run the mailman apps
on the server would be for riverrats users to log into /usr/local/mailman
and run them from there. Yipes! :-(

I believe I made all the required configuration changes to set up the apache
server properly and I've restarted apache. I also made the required alias
changes and modified the  mm_cfg.py file in mailman to reflect the domain's

So, theoretically I SHOULD be ready to run. Except I have a hunch I've
managed to overlook or skip over some key step somewhere. Am I right?