[Mailman-Users] Somewhere I think I've missed a step. Did I finishthe Install wrong?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 26 01:45:14 CEST 2008

TGPlatt, WebMaster wrote:

>I'm a new mailman server administrator. I'm trying to install the app on my
>server for a new client who has been running it for 2 years on another host.
>I'm using Python 2.4.5 (a fresh install downloaded from the Python.org site
>and mailman 2.1.11 downloaded from SourceForge via the www.lists.org site
>(i.e. these are pure vanilla - straight from the box - installs) It's
>installed on my dedicated RedHat Linux server running RH v7.1
>

>Mailman is installed in /usr/local/mailman/
>

>./Configure, make and "make install" all ran okay from WITHIN
>/usr/local/mailman/src once I finally figured out I could not put both the
>source and the runtime into /usr./local/mailman and moved the source to the
>src subdirectory.
>

>HOWEVER, please note that I have ONLY run "make install" in
>/usr/local/mailman/src. I have NOT installed mailman in any user domain's
>home directory (or subdirectory) yet.

That's fine. You don't need to.

>I DID make my target user domain (lets
>call it riverrats) a member of the mailman group; but that's as far as I've
>gone at the moment.

That may or may not be necessary or advisable depending on what you
want.

>Mailman isn't even in the search path for the riverrats
>domain. I have a hunch this was a mistake or that there's SOMETHING else I
>still must do INSIDE the riverrats domain in order to enable users to access
>mailman from there. As it stands now, the ONLY way to run the mailman apps
>on the server would be for riverrats users to log into /usr/local/mailman
>and run them from there. Yipes! :-(

Users do not run Mailman applications. Mailman runs as a service. The
MTA delivers mail to Mailman's queues via scripts invoked via aliases
or perhaps some other method depending on the MTA, and Mailman's queue
runners which are started by /usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl by
root, either directly or at boot time. The various other
/usr/local/mailman/bin/* commands are normally only run by Mailman
site admins.

>I believe I made all the required configuration changes to set up the apache
>server properly and I've restarted apache. I also made the required alias
>changes and modified the  mm_cfg.py file in mailman to reflect the domain's
>

>So, theoretically I SHOULD be ready to run. Except I have a hunch I've
>managed to overlook or skip over some key step somewhere. Am I right?

Maybe not starting mailmanctl?

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>, and if you're still having
difficulty, let us know what the specific problem is.