[Mailman-Users] Muti-Mailman install

adsarebad at gmail.com adsarebad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:38:38 CEST 2008

Well I finished my setup.  I have a Multi-Mailman install set up and
working.  I have also wrote up a little writeup on how I did it.  If
someone who knows mailman would look at it and tell me if I have done
something wrong that would be nice.  Its at
http://skagitattic.com/mailman.html

Thanks!

Also it seems clicking reply on a msg here does a off list reply. So all
my previous reply`s were done off list.

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I think what you actually need is something like
>
> fun at domain.com              fun_domain
>
> in virtual_mailman and
>
> fun_domain:        "|/usr/local/mailman/domain/mail/mailman post fun"
>
> in aliases.
>
> You would need to modify Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py to produce this, or set
> MTA = 'Manual' in mm_cfg.py and do your aliases manually.

Thanks for the idea of editing Postfix.py! However I could not seem to
make it work without.

fun at domain.com              fun_domain at localhost

in virtual_mailman

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2008, at 20:59, adsarebad-at-......... wrote:
>
>>> Have you seen
>>> <http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads/postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py>?
>>> [...]
>> I think I may have ran into that file in my travels, can`t remember
>> for sure through because I ran into so many.  Is that the one where I
>> need to have mylist at list.domain.com?  I was hoping to be able to use
>> mylist at domain.com.
>
> At least the advantage of this solution is that you set the transport
> for an entire domain to be this script, and then don’t need to have
> the Mailman email addresses explicitly stated in your Postfix config.
>
> If you want to have both regular and Mailman addresses for the same
> domain, then I am afraid you will have to explicitly have the Mailman
> addresses in your Postfix config. Just, they should go in the
> appropriate section (addresses for virtual domains instead of aliases).
Ya, I do want mailman going out of the same domain as "normal" email.

> I am unsure what you actually wanted help with in your original
> letter, i.e. was it a convenient way to do “newlist” after you setup
> the multiple Mailman installs? Was it routing the different addresses
> to the proper installs? etc.

I was not able to get my mail to mailman without doing my own aliases.

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> adsarebad at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Hmm..  It would be easy to write a little script to edit the tables
>> mailman makes to be right but I don`t know how I would get mailman to
>> call my script instead of (is it postmap?)...?  I was looking through
>> the mailman source for a call to postmap but could not find one, I guess
>> I would have to search a little deeper.  Or is it something else?  I
>> will have a look at Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py and see whats there.  Thanks!
>>

> Mailman (actually, Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py) calls the commands (with
> defaults)
>
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
>
> after updating aliases and virtual-mailman. You can override thes in
> mm_cfg.py to, e.g., invoke a script which does some edits and then
> calls the command. This would avoid maintaining patches to
> Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py.

That is a good idea however I was done with my editing of Postfix.py by
then.   Now that its working I don`t want to spend the time to make a
script to do what I want.