[Mailman-Users] Reply to list instead of poster (was: Muti-Mailman install)

Allan Odgaard 8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:04:30 CEST 2008

On 19 Jun 2008, at 08:38, adsarebad-at-......... wrote:

> [...]
> Also it seems clicking reply on a msg here does a off list reply. So
> all my previous reply`s were done off list.

It is the default for new Mailman installs and the admin UI even has:

     Where are replies to list messages directed?
     Poster is strongly recommended for most mailing lists

I never understood why they have this recommendation or even default
setting and it has always bothered me when lists I subscribe to does
not change away from the default (fortunately majority of lists _do_
change it).

The problem is actually twofold:

  1. I routinely forget to reply to the list, and
  2. I get private replies which I _think_ are meant for the list, but
I feel bad about following up to the list incase the poster really
wanted it to be private (plus list members lose half the conversation
when only the list is cc’ed on every second letter).

So what exactly is the reason for this recommendation (and default)?

And where do we lobby for a change? :)