[Mailman-Users] Can't create list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 14 03:59:57 CEST 2008

Mike Brown wrote:

>That is not going to be easy.  While adding www.vidiot.com and vidiot.com
>to the hosts file works for doing things like ping, which shows that 192.168.1.1
>is doing the responding, the Opera browser is not using the OS to do lookups
>and is going directly through DNS to look up vidiot.com.  The local hosts
>file is therefore ignored. :-(
>
>I do not have bind running locally.  There has been no need for it.  The
>resolv.conf file is set to go to my ISP's nameserver and then to the two
>nameservers that host my domainname.
>
>If I had a bunch of internal Unix boxes that I needed to be able to communicate
>between, then I'd set one up.
>
>While it won't be the easiest thing to do, the best might be to just do admin
>from work.

I don't know what your network looks like, but in my case, I have a
router connected to the LAN side of the DSL modem and if I send a
packet from a box on the lan to (e.g.) port 80 at my external IP, the
router knows that is its IP and it routes the packet back to the local
box that's configured in its port forwarding table for port 80 without
ever trying to send it to the WAN.

Also, can you dial out with a modem? I know that's so 20th century, but
it will bypass the DSL box outbound.