[Mailman-Users] Can't create list

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Jul 14 05:42:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 06:59:57PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> I don't know what your network looks like, but in my case, I have a
> router connected to the LAN side of the DSL modem and if I send a
> packet from a box on the lan to (e.g.) port 80 at my external IP, the
> router knows that is its IP and it routes the packet back to the local
> box that's configured in its port forwarding table for port 80 without
> ever trying to send it to the WAN.

No routers.  Just a 1GB switch and the DSL modem.  The DSL modem is a router,
but do not know if the routing table stuff is only for redirecting WAN stuff
to internal 192 LAN addresses.  There is no manual for the damn thing.

> Also, can you dial out with a modem? I know that's so 20th century, but
> it will bypass the DSL box outbound.

I haven't had a modem attached to a system for a decade :-)

Looks like I'll have to start a nameserver and have it listed first in
resolv.conf so that I can have it point www.vidiot.com and vidiot.com to
the LAN address.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign