[Mailman-Users] Can't create list

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Jul 14 03:29:19 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 03:03:41PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Fix whatever network issue is preventing you from going to
> http://vidiot.com/mailman/create (on the correct box) from inside your
> LAN.

That is not going to be easy.  While adding www.vidiot.com and vidiot.com
to the hosts file works for doing things like ping, which shows that 192.168.1.1
is doing the responding, the Opera browser is not using the OS to do lookups
and is going directly through DNS to look up vidiot.com.  The local hosts
file is therefore ignored. :-(

I do not have bind running locally.  There has been no need for it.  The
resolv.conf file is set to go to my ISP's nameserver and then to the two
nameservers that host my domainname.

If I had a bunch of internal Unix boxes that I needed to be able to communicate
between, then I'd set one up.

While it won't be the easiest thing to do, the best might be to just do admin
from work.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign