[Mailman-Users] Third party unsubscribe request

Dave Hillam brillig at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 17 18:22:17 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 5:56:44 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> Dave Hillam wrote:

>> But - other than tell him to ignore the unsubscribe request, what can
>> I do as listadmin in these circumstances?

> There's not much you can do.  You might be able to go through your logs and
> get some information about the unsubscription request that came through, and
> if you've got the IP address of the sender and an accurate date/time stamp,
> you could send a note to postmaster@ or abuse@ for that site and ask that
> they take care of the issue.  But beyond that, there's not much.

Yes, I will have a look at the mail logs and see what that reveals,
thanks.

I reckon that it's more of a presentation issue - why tell people to
contact the listadmin, if there's nothing that can be done? On the
other hand, it gives a point of contact/reassurance for list members
who may get confused/upset at this, I suppose.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm minded to change the
boilerplate response text, but am not certain whether this would be a
Good Idea.

Cheers

Dave Hillam