[Mailman-Users] Third party unsubscribe request

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 16 17:13:38 CEST 2008

Dave Hillam wrote:

>But - other than tell him to ignore the unsubscribe request, what can
>I do as listadmin in these circumstances? I suspect this may be a
>one-off (it's a friendly list), but I'd like to know just in case we
>have someone messing around.

Anyone can request unsubscription for anyone else via the user options
login page or via a spoofed From: in an email to list-leave or
list-unsubscribe or an unsubscribe command to list-request. One can
also request unsubscribe for another via a "unsubscribe address=xxx"
command to list-request.

Most of these pretty much have to be intentional, but if you have a
personalized list with a footer similar to the

Unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/user%40example.com

footer added to messages from this list, it is possible that your list
member forwarded a list message containing that link to someone else,
and the recipient followed the link and clicked "Unsubscribe" thinking
she was unsubscribing herself from a list.