[Mailman-Users] Third party unsubscribe request

Dave Hillam brillig at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 16 16:35:09 CEST 2008

Hi all

A different theme from the usual malicious subscription request, one
of my list members has just received a confirmation e-mail generated
by someone else. He is adamant it is not him, he is a long-standing
list member and I am inclined to believe him.

Now, the response includes the standard text:-

"If you do not wish to be removed from this list, please simply
disregard this message.  If you think you are being maliciously
removed from the list, or have any other questions, send them to
<email> ".

But - other than tell him to ignore the unsubscribe request, what can
I do as listadmin in these circumstances? I suspect this may be a
one-off (it's a friendly list), but I'd like to know just in case we
have someone messing around.

(I've looked through the FAQ and the list archive, but can't trace
anything on this).

TIA

Dave Hillam
mailto:brillig at dsl.pipex.com