[Mailman-Users] Approved header problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Sep 16 04:56:27 CEST 2007

Roy Harvey wrote:

>But sometimes I screw up and past it into the wrong email, and then
>have to change the password.
>
>In an attempt to avoid that mistake I figured out how to make my
>email program add this as a actual header line.  It adds it as the
>third header line, after the From and To, before the Subject.  But
>Mailman, running version 2.1.9.cp2, rejects it and sends it back as
>it would if I left the Approved out.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?  I see no way in my email program to
>control the position of the Approved header item in the list.

First, the order of the headers is not relevant. Mailman will find the
delivered to the list members. If the Approved: header contains the
correct list password without any trailing whitespace, the message
will be marked approved.

Second, how does this protect you against revealing the password by
sending it to the wrong place? You could still add the Approved:
header to an email to a non-list address.

Third, this is a cPanel Mailman so there could be a cPanel issue
involved. See FAQ 6.11
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

But, I suspect the issue is trailing whitespace on the Approved:
<password> header. I.e., if the password is aBc123, 'Approved: aBc123'
will work, as will 'Approve: aBc123' and even 'Approved:    aBc123',
but 'Approved: aBc123 ' will not.