[Mailman-Users] Approved header problem

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Sep 16 14:24:00 CEST 2007

--- Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> First, the order of the headers is not relevant. Mailman will find
> the
> delivered to the list members. If the Approved: header contains the
> correct list password without any trailing whitespace, the message
> will be marked approved.

The idea of position among the header lines did not seem like it
should matter.  Thanks for the confirmation.

> Second, how does this protect you against revealing the password by
> sending it to the wrong place? You could still add the Approved:
> header to an email to a non-list address.

My email program, Agent, provides a way to associate specific
personas with specific destination addresses.  I created a new
persona just for this broadcast list.  The special header line is
associated with the persona.  As long as I don't link the persona
with any other target address I should be fine.

> Third, this is a cPanel Mailman so there could be a cPanel issue
> involved. See FAQ 6.11

<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

When I started the list I read up on Mailman, but cPanel is new to
me.  Thanks for the pointer, I will look into that angle.

> But, I suspect the issue is trailing whitespace on the Approved:
> <password> header. I.e., if the password is aBc123, 'Approved:
> aBc123'
> will work, as will 'Approve: aBc123' and even 'Approved:
> aBc123',
> but 'Approved: aBc123 ' will not.

When I view the outgoing message in my Sent folder, and show all
header fields, I am not seeing any trailing blank.  When I edit the
item in my email program where the password is entered there is no
trailing blank.  Which is not to say that there isn't one when it is
sent, just that I can't see one.

I will try saving the password again, perhaps that will do it.

Thanks for your help.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT