[Mailman-Users] Bounced messages with Mailman 2.1 and Postfix2.5Virtual Mailboxes

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jun 6 02:49:47 CEST 2007

Jennifer Redman wrote:

>> Try
>>
>> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
>>
>> You may need to run postalias after making this change.
>

>Ok tried this approach. Same error.  I was actually following the
>instructions from 6.1.2 Virtual Domains with the original
>configuration....Thank you very much for the suggestion though.

6.1.2 is a suplement to, not a replacement for 6.1.1.

>See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>
>>
>> I think I may have the above memorized at this point ;>.
>
>I believe the problem is something to do with the virtual mailbox setup.
>Postfix instructions are here:
>
>http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
>
>"There is one major limitation: virtual aliases and virtual mailboxes can't
>directly deliver to mailing list managers such as majordomo. The solution is
>to set up virtual aliases that direct virtual addresses to the local
>delivery agent:
>
>/etc/postfix/main.cf <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html>:
>    virtual_alias_maps
><http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps> =
>hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>
>/etc/postfix/virtual <http://www.postfix.org/virtual.8.html>:
>    listname-request at example.com listname-request
>    listname at example.com         listname
>    owner-listname at example.com   owner-listname
>
>/etc/aliases:
>    listname: "|/some/where/majordomo/wrapper ..."
>    owner-listname: ...
>    listname-request: ...
>
>"
>
>I believe the above example is for Majordomo -- having trouble translating
>for Mailman.  Any ideas?

I'm not really a Postfix guy at all. Others on the mailman-users list
know a lot more than I about Postfix, but the mailman translation of
the above is straightforward.

Mailman creates data/virtual-mailman* which corresponds to the mailman
portion of/etc/postfix/virtual above and which maps in your case

 listname at lists.blah.org listname
 listname-bounces at lists.blah.org listname-bounces
 etc.

i.e. it maps the address at lists.blah.org addresses to the corresponding
local addresses.

Then the mailman created data/aliases* pipes those local addresses to
the mailman wrapper. This corresponds to the mailman portion of
/etc/aliases.

Possibly there is a permissions issue. What does ls -l mailman/data
show?

Also, what's in mailman/data/aliases and mailman/data/virtual-mailman?