[Mailman-Users] Bounced messages with Mailman 2.1 and Postfix 2.5 Virtual Mailboxes

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 15:01:46 CEST 2007

Jennifer Redman wrote:
> However, the integration with Postfix -- not so good, appears to be
> something to do with the Virtual Mailbox setup.

If you can set aside a sub-domain for your mailing lists, eg
lists.example.com, then it's worth using the sendmail mm-handler script
with postfix.

Download the script from
http://mailman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mailman/trunk/mailman/contrib/mm-handler?revision=5100

Install it in /usr/local/bin, make sure it's executable by mailman.
Edit the config at the top of the file.

Edit postfix/main.cf as follows:

relay_domains = lists.example.com
# Needed for interface to mailman:
mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1

Add the following to /etc/postfix/virtual:

##
## Redirect mail to the standard Mailman admin addresses to the
## master admin address. (Midway.uchicago.edu is our site's central
## mail-routing server, and it carries aliases for maintenance groups.
## Not a good plan to entrust Mailman maintenance mail to Mailman.)
##
mailman at lists.example.com               mailman-owner at example.com
mailman-owner at lists.example.com         mailman-owner at example.com

##
## These addresses are required or recommended either by convention
## or by RFC 2142, "Mailbox Names for Common Services, Roles and
## Functions". Honor them.
##
MAILER-DAEMON at lists.example.com            mailman-owner at example.com
postmaster at lists.example.com               mailman-owner at example.com
webmaster at lists.example.com                mailman-owner at example.com
abuse at lists.example.com                    mailman-owner at example.com
root at lists.example.com                     mailman-owner at example.com

Make sure that mailman-owner is aliased to an admin account.

Create the file /etc/postfix/transport as follows:

lists.example.com          mailman:example.com

Add the following to postfix/master.cf:

mailman unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=FRu user=mailman:mailman
  argv=/usr/local/bin/mm-handler ${nexthop} ${user} -r $sender

Run postmap /etc/postfix/transport, postmap /etc/postfix/virtual and
restart postfix.

Edit the mailman config file mm_cfg.py to include:

	MTA = None

I know it's a bit more complicated initially, but with this set up this
is it! :-)  There are other way of achieving this but none, in my
opinion, are as good as mm-handler.

See the link [1] to decide whether mm-handler is suitable for your site.

As you use postfix, you might also want to install the Postfix XVERP
patch - see [2] for the patch and [3] for details of config options.
(You'll also need to add smtpd_authorized_verp_clients = 127.0.0.1 to
/etc/postfix/main.cf)

Take care,

Ben

[1]