[Mailman-Users] Missing reject message

Par Leijonhufvud par at hunter-gatherer.org
Tue Jul 31 06:23:31 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> [2007.07.30] wrote:
> Par Leijonhufvud wrote:
> >I have two lists on one mailman server. Due to recent spam influx I've
> >set them to automatically reject posts from nonmembers
> >(generic_non-member_action is reject). But for one of the lists
> >rejection messages are sent, but not for the other. Any clues on what I
> >might be happening?
>

> Are the messages being held for some reason?

Not listed in the admin database page, mo mail to the moderator.

> If the message is not held and not posted to the list, it must be
> rejected or discarded. Check Mailman's vette log.

Not posted to the list, no traces in the vette log (but traces of spam
that was held before, and of manual discards of said spam.

> If the message is
> discarded (or held), there will be an entry in the vette log. If there
> is no such entry, and the message didn't reach the list, it must have
> been rejected and a notice should have been sent to the sender. If
> this is not happening, I don't know why.
>
> You can also check Mailman's error log to be sure there wasn't a
> processing error of some sort causing the message to be shunted.

The error log contains batches of lines like:

: Jul 30 18:54:24 2007 (22938) SHUNTING: 1185814463.897408+034ae029c666d13146eca9da915230fe846786c9
: Jul 31 00:47:55 2007 (22938) Uncaught runner exception: incomplete format
: Jul 31 00:47:55 2007 (22938) Traceback (most recent call last):
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 112, in _oneloop
:     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 170, in _onefile
:     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in _dispose
:     more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in _dopipeline
:     sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py", line 111, in process
:     do_reject(mlist)
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py", line 139, in do_reject
:     raise Errors.RejectMessage, \
:   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py", line 90, in _
:     return tns % dict
: ValueError: incomplete format

I just performed another test (non-member mail to both the working and
the non-working lists). The timing on the error log lines match the
posting attempt to the non-working list, there is one line in bounce
matching the attempt to the working list, but none for the non-working
attempt.

/Par

Par Leijonhufvud                               par at hunter-gatherer.org
"Those who restrain Desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be
restrained" 		-- William Blake