[Mailman-Users] virtual domain setup with postfix SOLVED

wo_shi_big_stomach wo_shi_big_stomach at mac.com
Wed Jan 31 02:57:02 CET 2007

On 1/30/07 9:49 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> David Newman wrote:
>> pctest:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pctest"
>>
>> but virtual-mailman has:
>>
>> pctest at virt1.tld              pctest
>>
>> I'm missing how to glue the two together, and this is NOT covered in the existing mailman docs.
>

> Do you have the appropriate alias_maps entry in your postfix
> configuration pointing to aliases as discussed in
> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>

Yes. This is the part that was missing. I was trying with alias_maps or
virtual_alias_maps but not both. MM needs both in this setup.

One final problem is that I got the 'Mailman expected the mail wrapper
script to be executed as group "nobody"' error because MM for postfix
installs with GID mailman.

My hack was to uninstall, change the GID to 'nobody' in the FreeBSD
ports Makefile, and reinstall. This may have security implications but
I'm not sure about that.

> Do you have "MTA = 'Postfix'" in your mm_cfg.py and have you run
> bin/genaliases to create the appropriate entries in data/aliases* and
> data/virtual-mailman*?
>
> You have to do all the stuff in sec 6.1.1 of the manual as well as the
> stuff in sec 6.1.2 that you said you'd read many times.
>

>> Once I get this running I'd be glad to write up documentation and submit it for possible inclusion.

Doing all of 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 is something I'll propose adding to 6.1.2.
At one stage I did have alias_maps but took it out because it's not
given in 6.1.2.

Thanks all for your help in getting this set up.

It will take me a day or two to write up suggested changes to 6.1.2,
which I'll post to the list.

thanks again

/wsbs