[Mailman-Users] virtual domain setup with postfix

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue Jan 30 02:21:10 CET 2007

david wrote:
 > Postfix already handles mail for multiple virtual domains
 > defined in a MySQL database.  I believe virtual domain setup
 > is OK, as individual users have been sending and receiving
 > mail for some time.
 >
 > Having problems with Mailman, though.  I've read these
 > instructions many times:
 >
 > http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html
 >
 > Besides doing what's listed there, I also defined a virtual
 > mailbox for a new "pctest" list (without that, mail sent to
 > pctest at virt1.tld bounces).
 >
 > However, MM never distributes the mail to list subscribers.
 > /var/log/maillog says each message is sent to
 > pctest at virt1.tld; however, the only files in
 > /usr/local/mailman/logs that change are smtp and subscribe
 > (and then only when list members are added).

so it sounds like you have postfix aliases set up for "pctest-*", but
not "pctest" itself?  is that right?

 > Basically, postfix delivers message to pctest at virt1.tld but nothing happens
 > after that.

i don't use mysql, but my epiphany was when i realized i needed
two separate mappings to be in place to get postfix and mailman
working together.  you need the virtual domain map (which i believe
you have) and you need the map that takes the result of the virtual
domain map, and turns it into a "real" destination.

paul