[Mailman-Users] Changing the Name of the Mailman Machine

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Apr 24 19:49:06 CEST 2007

At 10:35 AM -0700 4/24/07, Dragon wrote:

>  I am curious about this... if the mbox file in question was produced
>  entirely by the stock pipermail archiving functionality of Mailman,
>  is this step really necessary?

The .../listname.mbox/listname.mbox files are the "raw" 7th edition
mbox-format archives for the list.  They were not created by
pipermail.  Pipermail takes those files to create the "cooked"
archives which live in .../archive/private/listname/*, in both text
and HTML forms.

>  About a year ago when I was importing and updating some previous
>  archives from a majordomo/MHonarc installation, I wrote a Perl script
>  to extract the message date and time and used that to set the
>  creation date of the message file. While that works, it would be nice
>  to have this built into the arch script as an option for those who
>  would like it.

Well, htdig is not a standard part of the Mailman package.  While the
kind of functionality you'd like to see would be a nice addition,
it's not there -- at least not yet.

If you'd like to add that feature to bin/arch, we'd love to see that
contributed back to the Mailman community.  Of course, you should
also check the SourceForge "patch" page to see if anyone else has
already added that feature and contributed their code back to the
community, but which has not (yet) been accepted into the main
codebase.