[Mailman-Users] Changing the Name of the Mailman Machine

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Apr 24 19:35:52 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro sent the message below at 10:26 4/24/2007:

>It is a good idea to first run bin/cleanarch against the
>archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox files to make sure there
>won't be any problems from unescaped lines beginning with "From ". You
>can use the --dry-run option to check the file without writing a new
>file.

I am curious about this... if the mbox file in question was produced
entirely by the stock pipermail archiving functionality of Mailman,
is this step really necessary?

Also one thing I don't like about the bin/arch script is that it sets
the file creation date of the generated HTML files to the date the
file was processed. What I would really prefer is that it sets it to
the message date. The reason I would prefer to see that is because I
use htdig to index my archives for searches and it is the only way
that I know of to get the message date displayed within the search results.

About a year ago when I was importing and updating some previous
archives from a majordomo/MHonarc installation, I wrote a Perl script
to extract the message date and time and used that to set the
creation date of the message file. While that works, it would be nice
to have this built into the arch script as an option for those who
would like it.

Dragon