[Mailman-Users] mailing to list problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 20 21:44:14 CEST 2007

Andy Goldzweig wrote:

>I have a brand new box that I am using to setup mailman.  I've got
>solaris 10 and sendmail.  Mailman is installed and apache is
>configured.  I can create lists with newlist and then I add the lines
>to /etc/aliases.   View the admin pages for the list works.  When the
>list is created the owner is emailed correctly.  When a member is
>added they are emailed correctly.  When I send a message to the list
>the only place I get the message is locally on the box and not to
>names listed as members.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "the only place I get the message is
locally on the box and not to names listed as members".

Do you mean the message is delivered to Mailman, but not sent out at
all, or do you mean the message is sent out to local users, but remote
users don't receive it? It seems you mean the former, but I'm not sure.

>I can send mail using the Mail command to individuals but am failing
>when sending to the list.
>
>#Mail mailman-test-list
>Subject: test
>test
>.
>EOT

This message has no body. You need an empty line between

Subject: test

and

test

># mailman-test-list... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
>220 myhost.domain.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8; Fri, 20 Apr
>2007 14:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
>250-myhost.domain.edu Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
>250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>250-PIPELINING
>250-EXPN
>250-VERB
>250-8BITMIME
>250-SIZE
>250-DSN
>250-ETRN
>250-DELIVERBY
>250 HELP
>250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
>250 2.1.0 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sender ok
>050 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... aliased to "|/export/
>mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"
>250 2.1.5 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... Recipient ok
>354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>050 "|/export/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"...
>Connecting to prog...
>050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Connecting to local...
>050 220 myhost LMTP ready
>050 >>> LHLO myhost.domain.edu
>050 250-myhost
>050 250-8BITMIME
>050 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>050 250 PIPELINING
>050 >>> MAIL From:<>
>050 250 2.5.0 ok
>050 >>> RCPT To:<goldzwei>
>050 >>> DATA
>050 250 2.1.5 ok
>050 354 go ahead
>050 >>> .
>050 250 2.1.5 goldzwei OK
>050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sent
>250 2.0.0 l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for delivery
>mailman-test-list... Sent (l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for delivery)
>Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]

I'm not sure, but it looks like two messages above. The message to the
list which was delivered to the wrapper, and a message to you. What is
the message to you?

Check all of Mailman's logs for anything relevant.

Are there any candidate recipients of the message? I.e. is there a list
regular (not digest) member with delivery enabled who is not the
poster and who is not a direct addressee of the post?