[Mailman-Users] mailing to list problems

Andy Goldzweig goldzwei at oswego.edu
Fri Apr 20 21:05:50 CEST 2007

I have a brand new box that I am using to setup mailman.  I've got
solaris 10 and sendmail.  Mailman is installed and apache is
configured.  I can create lists with newlist and then I add the lines
to /etc/aliases.   View the admin pages for the list works.  When the
list is created the owner is emailed correctly.  When a member is
added they are emailed correctly.  When I send a message to the list
the only place I get the message is locally on the box and not to
names listed as members.

Both values are sent to the hostname of the box in Defaults.py
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.domain.edu'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'myhost.domain.edu'

I am using the stock sendmail.cf file

I can send mail using the Mail command to individuals but am failing
when sending to the list.

#Mail mailman-test-list
Subject: test
test
.
EOT
# mailman-test-list... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 myhost.domain.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8; Fri, 20 Apr
2007 14:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
 >>> EHLO myhost.domain.edu
250-myhost.domain.edu Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
 >>> VERB
250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
250 2.1.0 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sender ok
 >>> RCPT To:<mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>
 >>> DATA
050 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... aliased to "|/export/
mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"
250 2.1.5 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
 >>> .
050 "|/export/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"...
Connecting to prog...
050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Connecting to local...
050 220 myhost LMTP ready
050 >>> LHLO myhost.domain.edu
050 250-myhost
050 250-8BITMIME
050 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
050 250 PIPELINING
050 >>> MAIL From:<>
050 250 2.5.0 ok
050 >>> RCPT To:<goldzwei>
050 >>> DATA
050 250 2.1.5 ok
050 354 go ahead
050 >>> .
050 250 2.1.5 goldzwei OK
050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sent
250 2.0.0 l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for delivery
mailman-test-list... Sent (l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for delivery)
Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
 >>> QUIT

Andy Goldzweig
Academic Systems Programmer