[Mailman-Users] mailing to list problems

Andy Goldzweig goldzwei at oswego.edu
Fri Apr 20 22:02:44 CEST 2007

Sorry for the confusion.  I'm not well versed with mail and that is
certainly showing in my question.

Andy Goldzweig
Academic Systems Programmer
Campus Technology Services
SUNY Oswego
7a Snygg Hall
315-312-2826
goldzwei at oswego.edu

What I mean is that I put myself as a member goldzwei at domain.edu

And I am sending the mail as root from the box I am on to the list.
But the only mail I see show up is to goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu

>> I can send mail using the Mail command to individuals but am failing
>> when sending to the list.
>>
>> #Mail mailman-test-list
>> Subject: test
>> test
>> .
>> EOT
>

> This message has no body. You need an empty line between
>
> Subject: test
>
> and
>
> test

I tried that and got the same output.

>> # mailman-test-list... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
>> 220 myhost.domain.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8; Fri, 20 Apr
>> 2007 14:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
>> 250-myhost.domain.edu Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet
>> you
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-EXPN
>> 250-VERB
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250-SIZE
>> 250-DSN
>> 250-ETRN
>> 250-DELIVERBY
>> 250 HELP
>> 250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
>> 250 2.1.0 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sender ok
>> 050 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... aliased to "|/export/
>> mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"
>> 250 2.1.5 <mailman-test-list at myhost.domain.edu>... Recipient ok
>> 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>> 050 "|/export/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman-test-list"...
>> Connecting to prog...
>> 050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Connecting to local...
>> 050 220 myhost LMTP ready
>> 050 >>> LHLO myhost.domain.edu
>> 050 250-myhost
>> 050 250-8BITMIME
>> 050 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 050 250 PIPELINING
>> 050 >>> MAIL From:<>
>> 050 250 2.5.0 ok
>> 050 >>> RCPT To:<goldzwei>
>> 050 >>> DATA
>> 050 250 2.1.5 ok
>> 050 354 go ahead
>> 050 >>> .
>> 050 250 2.1.5 goldzwei OK
>> 050 <goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu>... Sent
>> 250 2.0.0 l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for delivery
>> mailman-test-list... Sent (l3KIsk2L008903 Message accepted for
>> delivery)
>> Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
>

> I'm not sure, but it looks like two messages above. The message to the
> list which was delivered to the wrapper, and a message to you. What is
> the message to you?

That is where I am stuck.  Why is it sending a message to my local
account when that user is not on the list.

> Check all of Mailman's logs for anything relevant.

error log is empty
smtp show the emails when the list is created and when users are added

> Are there any candidate recipients of the message? I.e. is there a
> list
> regular (not digest) member with delivery enabled who is not the
> poster and who is not a direct addressee of the post?

I didn't make any changes to the list.  I created it with newlist and
used my @domain.edu address as the owner