[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Apr 12 09:25:35 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles writes:

 > >                                                          Two
 > >  suggestions: my feeling is that the first line should mention the
 > >  *places* where replacement has been observed (envelope address, RFC
 > >  2822 addresses, whatever).
 >
 > It may be my anti-histamine-fogged brain, but I'm not quite sure I
 > understand what you mean.  Could you clarify?

As I read the thread, I saw no examples of RFC 2822 headers being
munged, but I did see lots of discussion of SMTP commands like ELHO,
MAIL, and RCPT.  RFC 1123 requires that addresses in MAIL and RCPT
commands be canonicalized, but says nothing about the RFC 2822 headers
that I can see.  So I've been thinking in terms of envelope addresses,
which often are visible to users in various ways.  Are the message's
headers actually being rewritten?  If so, which ones?

And on which host?  Ie, is it that joe at example.com composes a message
"To: nine at virtual.dom", and the MTA at example.com is rewriting that
to "To: nine at hosting-service.dom"?  If so, it's purely a DNS issue and
neither Mailman nor Mailman's MTA can do anything about it.  Or is the
MTA at hosting-service.dom rewriting it before redistributing?  Or
what?